Graduate Programming Fee
GSG is funded by the assessment of a Graduate Programming Fee to all graduate students. We use the funds to advocate for student interests at USC and nationally, fund academic and social programming, and provide resources and programs for students.
In order to be eligible to opt-out of this fee, you must be a graduate student taking fewer than six units.
In addition, please understand that optional fee is not reported to the IRS (on your 1098-T) as a qualified educational expense.
If you decide to opt-out, you are not able to participate in any activities sponsored by GSG, including:
- Any activities organized by their student umbrella organizations
- Any social or academic activities sponsored by Graduate Student Government or Undergraduate Student Government
- The Travel Grant Program
- The Graduate Research Symposium
- The subsidized Metro TAP card program
- Free Legal Counseling Service
We are unable to remove the fee from your account before your bill is due for the academic year. We strongly recommend that you pay the fee and receive a credit when the fee is removed. If you choose not to do so, GSG will not cover any late fees or other related charges. In addition, we will not be processing opt-out requests until after the add/drop period each semester, which is also the last day to fill out the opt-out form. After the add/drop deadline, there will be no refunds on the programming fee. To look up the add/drop deadline, please see the Registrar’s Calendar here: http://arr.usc.edu/calendar/
- Fill out opt-out form online
- Receive automatically-generated receipt
- Pay the fee. GSG will reimburse you either via account credit or check after the add/drop deadline.
The opt-out form is located here: Access the Opt-Out Form